View Single Post
Old 01-25-16, 08:46 PM
bici_mania

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lotekmod
Having spent the past 25 years working in engineering, architecture, design, and fabrication, the one quote that is always in my head is "Don't let perfect be the enemy of good."

None of my bikes are perfect, all of them are good.
I have spent a bit of time contemplating this thought. I think for me, the well worn bike / components, where you can see that it has been well cared for but heavily used is the 'perfect' bike/component. A bike that has been expertly maintained and expertly ridden for several thousand miles have a much deeper beauty and value than any brand new, plastic wunder-bike. I can appreciate the wunder-bike but it doesn't get the same value and respect. The 'blemishes' in the well used bike imbue it with character and quality that is unmatched by newer machines or any machine that sat on a hook unused.

Most of the blemishes on my bikes have corresponding stories, I remember when and where they happen. My bike and I wear into each other the way a chain wears into gears. Eventually, we will both wear out but for a while we are perfect together and it is a wonderful and beautiful thing.