View Single Post
Old 01-26-16, 02:49 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked 3,127 Times in 1,691 Posts
JimmyNH...let's just call it the lance factor...

but besides that, it may be too many charity rides. seems like there is a charity century/half-century every weekend and
that may dilute the biggie rides. can't attest to club rides as i've never joined one and have ridden in very few.

here in san diego, i haven't noticed more or fewer road riders. definitely more people using their bikes for short commutes & errands tho.

i have, however, noticed more riders in two places i ride 5-6 times a year.
the palos verdes peninsula seemingly has more kitted up riders (even on weekdays) every time i'm there. moved away from the area
in 1988 and riders were few and far between then. not an early riser either so i usually miss the bigger group/club rides that i know take
place there. oodles of solo and small groups there.

santa monica mountains west of topanga canyon rd/hwy 27 have been chock full of riders (and not just on pch) during the weekdays
(i never ride the area during the weekend-too busy and too many rookies/weekend warriors in cars/motorcycles). usually do at least a 40 mile
ride there and have seen at least one "cycling vacation" support car/van/sag vehicle with bikes on top every ride there the last 4 years.
i rode past 3 such separate outfits once on a weekday. those groups usually seem to be about 6-10 riders. seems like a few years ago, i would
see 2-5 riders on a random 60 mile climbfest through those mountains. now, the number is closer to 30-35.