Old 01-26-16, 12:53 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Well, I guess all exercise tips are given with the assumption that the OP won;'t be exceedingly foolish and hurt him-/herself. Short intervals are good for building cardiovascular, lung, and recovery abilities. Longer intervals at varying intensities in various gears build those same things, but focus more on building different muscle groups as well. Longer rides at a higher cadence builds aerobic and CV .... and squats build muscle.

more than one way to get from here to "faster," and usually a combination of ways works.

And if a person so desires, s/he could hurt or even injure him/herself quite badly by exercising wrong. I think we all assume the person is smart enough not to ... otherwise the only really reasonable advice would be "Put on your helmet and crawl back into bed."
I agree fully .... I have only been riding for 4 months and cycle 5 days in a row .... ride fast (high cadence) for half the distance, and the other half, use a lower cadence with a harder gear to build leg strength

I have managed to get fairly fit, and have seen a huge improvement in a short period

also, no need to join a cycling club or group ride .... sign up to Strava, and every ride becomes a race against your personal best, and others who have cycled the same route, on the same day, same week, or all time