Old 01-26-16, 03:04 PM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnyvincent
I guess you could say it's more of a "need for speed" thing. I have no intention to race. Just to challenge myself and I think it's cool to ride around the neighborhood at close to the same speed as cars.

I might try that as well as the 30 second high intensity intervals. From what I'm reading, it seems like I need to work on all around performance.
I read an article, this morning, that suggested that you should ramp up to high intensity training so that your connective tissue can build up the strength to keep your muscles and joints tied together. If you dive in, too quickly, you could tear a tendon or ligament, which could put you on the bench for days, weeks, or months. According to the article, you should slowly build your intensity (whether it's sprinting on the bike or lifting heavy weights), so that you give the connective tissue time to get stronger, before applying all the strength that your muscles can supply. Ease into it, is what the article recommends.