Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
They say steel rides like steel, regardless. I've found that to be true with No Name 4130, Reynolds 520, Reynolds 853/725 and True Temper OX Platinum so far. Wondering if 953 is the same or something else.
I can just about guarantee that 953 feels the same as any steel alloy from plain 1010 carbon steel to 953 IF the two frames have the same geometry, tubing wall thicknesses, tube diameters, and butting profiles. That's because all the steel alloys used for bicycle frames have virtually the same density and Young's modulus (stiffness), and similar elongation (ductility/brittleness).

The difference, of course, is that tubing made from alloys with higher tensile strength and yield strength can be drawn with thinner walls to reduce weight, so it would be pointless to build a bike with 953 that had the same tubing wall thicknesses, tube diameters, and butting profile as a bike built with 1010. They'd weigh the same and ride the same.

The 953 OS Waterford is the same size and has virtually the same geometry as my 1972 Schwinn P15-9 Paramount which is built with standard diameter Reynolds 531, but the Waterford weighs six pounds less than the Paramount. The 953 tubing has thinner walls, so if the tubing diameters were the same the Waterford would be noticeably flexier (or less stiff); but because the 953 is oversize tubing, I honestly can't tell the difference between the two bikes except that because the Waterford is so much lighter it feels faster (accelerates faster and climbs easier). This outcome is exactly what I was shooting for.

Here is a photo of the two bikes together. The numbers are the tube diameters.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.