genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I agree, and it's obvious that the motorist had enough reminders that he had to be aware of bicyclists and the need to yield (which he would have needed to do even if there were no signage).

However, even when others are 100% at fault, it still falls on cyclists to be aware of the risks that result from inattentive or uncaring drivers. My personal approach to potentially dangerous intersections is to not depend on the driver, and ride not only so they won't hit me if they don't see me, but so they couldn't hit me even if they tried.

This doesn't mean that I cede my right of way, just that I use timing, or confirm as well as possible that the driver is in fact slowing and preparing to yield.

IMO tight of way and fault are all things for the lawyers to debate after a collision. My goal is to avoid the collision in the first place.
Agreed... as vulnerable road users, we have to work 100% "to avoid the collision in the first place." It would be nice if the other road users put in the same sort of effort...