dougmon 
Fred For Life

Bikes: Kona Big Rove AL, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I'm one of those short legged guys, my height is 6'-1", but I have a 32" inseam. My wife is 5'-3½" (I have to put the half inch in, she gets upset about being "shorted") and she has the same inseam length as I do. I actually used on of her bikes back in the mid 80s, while I was bike-less for a few years. The top tube was short, those quill stems offered less choices than we get now, but I could ride during that bleak period.

I was pleasantly surprised when I came back to cycling to find that shops actually wanted to fit me to the bicycle, and would make changes before I took a bike home. Much different from doing this myself, without really knowing that I was doing a "Fitting" back in my younger days, long, long ago.

End of long, winded post, sorry for slobbering down memory lane.

Bill
Ha! My wife is a quarter-inch short of 5 feet, but damnit, she's five feet tall!

All this stuff about fitting is interesting. The bike shop did do a fitting (but only for riding, they said), and it's very comfortable while I'm riding it. And it's amazing what losing an inch-and-a-quarter does for me. I'm far more comfortable ( or less scared ), and the dismounts are much easier. The bike is 52 or 53 (cm?), depending on where you read the specs. I'd really like to try a Surly 50cm bike to see what that's like. (Heck, I'd like to try a Surly anyway, but I make a point of not trying bikes way out of my price range...)