Old 01-29-16, 02:03 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3231 Post(s)
Liked 3,873 Times in 1,440 Posts
Originally Posted by 81Forest
First time poster here. Just ran across this thread after yet another terrifying morning commute in which my Hy/Rds totally failed. I have about 1000 miles on mine also, and they have never worked properly for more than about 100 miles at a time, I think I must be having similar problems as Andy K. First the actuating arm slipped off the little push-rod on the rear, rendering the rear brake useless. Got that fixed, but noticed that the front was requiring constant adjustment on the barrel. Trying to stay on top of that, then this morning the rear brake disappeared completely. I stopped in the rain, late for work, thinking that the arm had slipped off again. When I watched the caliper while squeezing the brake, I saw little bubbles appearing from the top of the reservoir. What the heck??? Continued my commute with front brakes only, and by the time I got to the office the front brake was barely working again and hardly slowing the bike down. No brakes is OK on my fixed gear, not on my rain bike!

Sketch-balls! It is frustrating. I had not done any research until now, but this thread explains a few things. Guess I will be calling TRP...
You really should never use the barrel adjuster, IMO. At the very least, you should never use it without first locking down the lock knob. The barrel adjuster effectively closes off the hydraulic system. My guess is that you've been using your barrel adjuster to adjust for pad wear and the system has needed to eject excess hydraulic fluid and so has breached the seals. These brakes are supposed to self-adjust for pad wear (which they will when functioning properly). The barrel adjuster is just meant to get the cable taut (which you really can do without the adjuster).

Check out this tech bulletin from TRP: http://www.trpbrakes.com/userfiles/f...%20Rev%20B.pdf

But definitely give them a call. They should fix this for you.