Thread: Addiction L6
View Single Post
Old 02-01-16, 10:31 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by FLvector
Zika virus is in the family of Flaviviruses that include Dengue and Chikungunya virus. Both Dengue and Chikungunya moved from the Caribbean islands to Florida, so I'd expect that Zika will eventually do the same. There's been travel related cases in FL, NY, NC, TX, etc., and a few involving pregnant females. I would expect to see a rise in the Caribbean islands with local transmission before we see it in FL.

Only one in five show any symptoms of Zika, so there's likely many more cases in Brazil than reported. With the summer Olympics coming, they are currently freaking out over the concern. The big difference between Zika and any other mosquito transmitted virus is the microcephaly in babies. It has also been tied to Guillain-Barré syndrome. It's getting a tremendous amount of media attention. WHO just declared a global public health emergency, only the forth time they've ever invoked this high level of alert. It was also done with H1N1, polio and ebola.

The main vector is Aedes aegypti, a daytime biter often found in artificial containers, such as buckets, tires, etc. in central and south FL and the other gulf states including TX. It will be one to watch as summer approaches.
Human infections are just incidental?

What is the normal host/reservoir animal? We have the entire transmission cycle in the states?

Obviously the microcephaly is the issue, that is just such a huge human cost.

I heard something on the news about maybe some kind of genetically engineered mosquito pest is being engineered? Is that really viable?