Old 02-02-16, 09:11 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
So I'm going to post this here because this is the only thread with intelligent discussion left:

Regarding the mechanical doping case, I'm fairly confident Cancellara did not use it, but I was mystified by the video of Ryder Hesjedal's 2014 crash where his bike basically did donuts. It looked really weird, but to me it didn't make sense along the lines of a motor mounted in the seat tube because the pedals were not turning. But the recent news has also brought to light the existence of electromagnetic wheels. And this quote freaked me out the most:

“It’s such a perfect system that I’m sure some riders don’t know they’re using it. They just think they’ve had a great day,” Gazzetta dello Sport’s source claimed.
That's trippy. So basically there is a system that could be fitted to a bike and a rider could jump on it and just think "Holy crap, I'm strong today!" I've ridden pedal assist electric bikes that only give a boost as you pedal, I'm sure the system probably works like that. If it only gave a boost of maybe 40 watts, that might be enough to think you've just caught a really good draft or tailwind. So theoretically, it's on the rider to know what he's riding in the same way that it's on the rider to know what goes into their body, but we're looking at the proverbial tainted steak where a rider could be found using it and genuinely have no clue. That's beyond nutty.