Old 02-03-16, 01:33 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
I believe in Canada if the officer believes you've committed an offence and you refuse to provide ID the officer can arrest you. Not enough evidence on video to determine if the kid resisted but I think it's unlikely the officer just threw him down on the ground without giving him a chance to cooperate.
For better or worse that is true. As has been pointed out we do not know the whole story nor have we seen all of the footage that was shot that day.

Originally Posted by asmac
Most police everywhere are friendly. Except when they're not. American police seem to expect that everyone is armed and respond accordingly. We don't have such a big problem in that regard so there tends to be a more relaxed attitude.
You should really get up to date on things. The RCMP role in national security -- also unfortunately called the Security Service or SS -- ended in 1984 with the formation of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS). The OPP and RCMP have very little to do with policing in Toronto. In many other provinces and cities the RCMP is contracted as a local police force. Anyhow, I realize that none of this holds much interest for BF readers.
I agree that the boy was probably responsible for creating a situation which led to over-reaction but it does appear -- unless he physically attacked the officer -- that it was a considerable over-reaction and looks very bad. In fairness, the officer does seem to have kept his cool throughout.
Agreed, generally speaking they are, and they are doing a very tough and largely thankless job.

Originally Posted by dynodonn
In looking at some of our local mugshots, plus watching the video in the OP, IMO, this arrest does not qualify as a hard takedown in our area, since neither the officer or teen had to report to the hospital afterwards.
I almost hate to ask what does?