View Single Post
Old 02-03-16, 06:57 PM
oldsmobum

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by old's'cool
I had a 55 Super 88 Holiday Sedan that I "restored" during my university years, and had painted in the same colour scheme as your coupe. I also rodded the engine, Hydramatic tranny, and suspension, so it amounted to quite a bit more than meets the eye, at the end of the day. I mounted a lovely set of chrome American Racer diamond spoke wheels that went perfectly with all the chrome trim. Unfortunately, I don't have any digital pictures, only film & prints, still stashed away in boxes after umpteen moves. Also unfortunately, I had to leave the Olds behind for one of the moves.
The 1955 Olds is my #1 favorite from the Harley Earl school of styling, at least in terms of production designs. Combined with the trend-setting Rocket engine, Hydramatic trans, and suspension featuring front AND rear sway bars from the factory, it was quite the all around package in its time. NASCAR racers thought so also; in 1955 the Olds came second only to the mighty Chrysler 300 in overall race victories.
Everyone I have ever met that actually had one too has great stories behind theirs... They certainly are special. Whenever someone says, "I had one too!" however, I am always cautious because it seems about 1/3 of the time it was actually a chevy or some other 50's era vehicle.

Mine is keeping the 324, after a 59 olds 394 I acquired wouldn't go in without some serious exhaust or steering modification. So the 324 lives on a stand in the living room, in the middle of a rebuild. Got bigger valves cut into the heads, and a 3x2 intake with 2gc carbs waiting to top it all off. The hydramatic snapped a band while I was on a date, which started the whole project to begin with... So in lieu of rebuilding it, I have mothballed it and will built in a th400 with a modified bellhousing to accommodate the 324 for the time being... If I ever get rich enough (not likely) it might get a gear vendors overdrive. It will get steel wheels with baby moons, and will go back to blue (it was originally a turquois color) but more of a light blue metallic with the white.