CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Let's take a break from the voting thing and you tell that story
Originally Posted by RubeRad
I remember a case where I was in the jury pool, somebody else was excused basically for not being car owner/driver, I guess because the case centered on injuries from a traffic accident. I was excused because I stated my (honest) opinion that 'pain&suffering' compensation is stupid. Compensate for lost wages, property, medical costs, etc, sure, let's calculate it out. But 'pain&suffering'? Life is pain&suffering. If my feelings are hurt, I can't sue over it. (or shouldn't be able to anyways, but the way this country's been going...
And, the case was a similar kind of thing.
A woman had been in an auto accident.
She appeared "whole" in the court room.
Apparently she could not play tennis (at all? as well as before?).
No more details since I didn't see the case.

But, somehow bicycling came up and I stated that I hate Downtown Portland Traffic, and rode my bike to the courthouse.
I was singled out and asked "What would you do if you could no longer ride your bike (due to an accident)"?
And I replied that "I would adapt". Apparently the WRONG answer, at least I presume. No question about financial compensation came up.

I'm not getting any younger, and have a few aches and pains here and there Dad also got older, eventually had bilateral knee replacement, stopped hiking, and got horses. He did slow down a bit on the basketball court, but never stopped playing. He may not have been doing fast breaks, but one shouldn't ignore the old guy in the middle of the court. Pass him the ball and it goes in the hoop.

Anyway, life is about change. I'd have to be in pretty bad shape to be completely knocked off of my bike or a trike or a handcycle or a moped. Even so, maybe a new door would open in life.

I still don't have any opinion of the actual tennis case. I keep an open mind, and would need to hear the argument from both sides to really make a decision. No idea if she was an amateur or had pro aspirations.