View Single Post
Old 02-05-16, 08:13 AM
Rupert2016

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2wheelCambria
I considered variations of those three bikes when I was in search of a new steed a few months back. One thing I found during my search is that there is a lot of love out there for the Diverge E5 Smartweld, but not for its A1 little brother. I didn't end up riding one, but from what I've read, they are worlds apart in ride quality, though I do like the sub-compact crank on the A1 you linked. Not sure precisely what you have planned for this bike, but I am a big fan of a sub-compact crank for gravel/backroads bikes. It seems like a nice sweet spot between a 50/34 road compact and a 46/36 CX crank, but it seems like there aren't terribly many out there on stock bikes. Unlike the Diverge, the Grade has the same frame whether you spec it with Tiagra or Claris. I really like the Jamis philosophy of preserving a consistent range of stack and reach across their range of sizes, but if you're not a small or tall rider, that philosophy might not mean beans to you. Overall they are three nice bikes with slightly different strengths...you'll have to decide what's most valuable to you. Or maybe you'll test ride one and it will sing for you more loudly than the others.

You might also consider a Haanjo Tero...MSRP $900 but they're out there for $700 or less:
http://www.diamondback.com/bikes-road-alternative-road-haanjo-tero[/URL]

Happy hunting!

Thanks for your insight and suggestion of the Haanjo Tero-it seems right inline with the other entry level bikes Im considering and I can get a great deal on one and save a few hundred dollars that I could use toward some enhancements to the bike. Unfortunately I would have to buy it online and would not be able to test ride it- which I've done before and had great success buying my GT. I do mostly pavement riding but I've been venturing more off the beaten path to some light trails. Im a short rider so proper sizing is important and Jamis did seem to cater to that when I made the visit. Do you have any personal insight on the Haanjo Tero? I've read nothing but good things overall.