Thread: Disgusted
View Single Post
Old 02-07-16, 08:10 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
BF is a weird place but there is actually a lot of great information here.

Maybe 70% of people who post here have very little idea of what they're talking about. Maybe 15% have some idea, they get some stuff right and some stuff wrong, just like in real life. And are reasonable. And maybe 10% really do know what they are talking about. You eventually figure out the cast of characters.

Culturally, there is a huge fascination in BF with making fun of people who post "stupid" or "newby" questions. Add to that being a woman and you will sometimes get misogynistic remarks on top of everything else. And I've had some weird creepy stalker type stuff too.

Despite that, I would argue that its worth figuring the place out because you really can get a lot out of it. I connected with my coach here, learned a lot about training and equipment and strategy and many of my favorite people in the world of cycling post here regularly and we are friends in real life and sometimes ride and race together.

I do have people here who absolutely hate me. I've even inspired one elderly gentleman to change his signature line out of a desire to put me in my place, lol. You just have to let that stuff roll off your back and see it for how silly and kind of sad it is. Many people on BF have agendas in their posts, they are not just trying to help you out or relay info. The behavior here is commonly grown men behaving like high school boys. STILL it can be very useful and its worth hanging out- you do really have to hang out, though, because its the only way to learn who's who and to be able to read between the lines in their posts. Hugely inefficient and if you don't have that kind of time, BF may never work for you.

Good luck with whatever your bike questions are!