Old 02-08-16, 11:40 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7696 Post(s)
Liked 3,605 Times in 1,900 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
The right that I'm talking about is the right to ask for the service. By assertive I absolutely don't mean aggressive. Too different things entirely. I don't mean you go in and demand the service as a right. Perhaps I could have said it better. What I mean is you don't go into the shop with your tail between your legs, embarrassed about not buying the parts for the build from them. We see that attitude expressed here all the time. They can accept or decline the business, sure, but it is not because the customer has done something wrong in asking.
(emphasis added.)

In fact, some LBS folks have said that the shops don't get much benefit out of selling parts---just because of the issues with stocking the right stuff/sizes, and the nightmare of trying to get returns/warranty service from their suppliers, and the small margins even with big apparent mark-ups ... and have expressed a preference top make their money via service.

In some ways you'd be doing the shop a favor to offerr them low-overhead income wihich ties up no cash in inventory and involves no warranty liability.

A lot of people here do seem to feel that buying online insults the shops, but as mr. penmanparker suggests, realizing that you are offering them a Chance to Make Easy Money is probably a better approach than feeling like you arer offering them a consolation prize after betraying them.

If I ever do a build with a press-fit BB, I might well choose to go to the LBS instead of buying a press ... and frankly that is the only way they would ever make a penny off of me, so they really ought to jump at the chance.