View Single Post
Old 02-12-16, 07:06 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4237 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Pacenti Rim Wear Indicators?

Does anyone know if Pacenti SL-23 rims have rim wear indicators and, if so, what they look like?

I picked up a couple of used wheels today mainly because I wanted the hubs. They came laced to first generation SL-23 rims that had some wear on them. I've ridden rims with more wear, but I don't know how much wear these have on them. Near the middle of the braking surface there are two parallel grooves on all 4 surfaces (the 2 on each wheel) that are maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 inch apart. Are these the wear indicators? I hadn't seen 2 parallel grooves as indicators before, but I couldn't figure how else the previous owner would get such nice parallel grooves on both sides of both rims (unless he/she tried braking with no pads in the holders or something - but that didn't seem to be the vibe I got).

If they are wear indicators, I can use the rims until they're gone, right? Can't say I've used wheels that have had them before.

thanks