View Single Post
Old 02-12-16, 10:53 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,595 Times in 1,438 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Does anyone know if Pacenti SL-23 rims have rim wear indicators and, if so, what they look like?.....
If they are wear indicators, I can use the rims until they're gone, right? Can't say I've used wheels that have had them before.

thanks
It really doesn't matter if they're wear indicators or not, you can probably use them as such.

The bottom of the groove most likely determines the minimum rim width. If you consider the idea that a chain is only as strong as the weakest link, the added braking surface material doesn't add any strength, so wearing it down to the groove depth can't weaken the rim. Of course there's every possibility that you can wear the rim beyond the bottom of the groove, but at least you know that wearing it to the bottom won't hurt.

BTW- all the above depends on the groove not being where there's added material on the inside, but IME I've never seen one that was.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.