View Single Post
Old 02-13-16, 07:53 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,004 Times in 489 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
I'm generally a 700x25 (or 23) guy, from vintage steel to carbon road bikes. Today I took out my wife's hybrid with a hilltopper e-assist, did about 25m of mostly flat. Used the e-assist accelerating across intersections and annoying little hills, came back with the battery at about half full.

What a blast! Big ol' 26x2.0 slick tires, 35lbs if it weighs an ounce, big comfy seat, ape handlebars - what's not to like?

It occurs to me -- if we are riding for fitness, why ride a 15lb, low rolling resistance bike? Given you really can't maintain a 20+mph pace most places it the world, don't you get a better leg and cardio workout riding a heavy bike with heavy wheels?

It occurs to me -- if we are riding for relaxation and joy, why ride a bike that's uncomfortable & twitchy by design?

It occurs to me -- if we are out there to enjoy the sights, why not ride upright vs. hunched over in a fully rotated position?

I guess these are the rhetorical questions that G. Petersen poses, but I'm taking it step further thinking that even the modern hybrid bike attempts to be too fast, fashionable and technical to make much sense.

Anyway, my legs are actually aching from today's modest ride, but it's not a bad feeling at all.
Wasn't so long ago that 25 was considered "wide" for road tires. GP wrote the "unracer" back when there weren't so many choices in off the rack bikes. His advice is easier to follow today with so many "hybrid" options from every brand. His point of "why race bike for non-racers?" is a good read for all cyclists.