View Single Post
Old 02-13-16, 08:16 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
I apologize if I offended anyone with my response.

What I saw, was that a brand new poster made a new post and some of the first responses he saw were all negative. Not aimed directly at him, but sort of ... because he stopped at "General Cycling" with a general cycling question. While no one directly insulted the poster ... the controversy (and I have read threads about people discussing the mods moving "General Cycling" and the fact that "Cyclocross" for instance, had its name but not is location changed, destroying the alphabetical purity of the list) was and is tangential at best to the post in question ... but the replies were decidedly negative.

If there is still a large push to move "General Cycling" back into alphabetical order, great! No problem. Maybe an "Open Letter to the Mods" type of thread? What I saw instead, was that this new poster got caught in the blowback from some controversy from months ago which had nothing to do with his post .... and while he was not specifically targeted, if a drunk pukes on you, you don't ask if he was aiming.

I stand by my original reaction, though perhaps I should have softened my tone ... but dumping an old controversy into a new poster's first thread, and sort of making it seem like his fault because he stopped at what seemed the appropriate sub-forum instead of reading every single other possible sub-forum, seems an unwelcoming and un-neighborly thing to do.

So ... I await the "Mods-Put General Cucling In Its Place" thread.

As for how the forum was before I arrived .... those were the "Good Old Days." Savor the memory, rue their passing.

Last edited by Maelochs; 02-13-16 at 08:19 AM.