Thread: Road ID ?
View Single Post
Old 02-14-16, 12:04 AM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V

I can tell you this, as a retired paramedic, it's not a good idea to carry your ID and medical info in a wallet stuck in your jersey pocket unless others riding with you know to tell the first responders where it's located. It's even a worse idea to put your wallet in your saddle bag because no one will bother looking for it. If you are unresponsive, the first responders primary purpose is to get you to the hospital in the shortest time possible and not to look for your identification. Jerseys are cut off and left on the scene and first responders will not take the time to go looking for a wallet in this situation. You will be admitted as a John Doe until someone on the scene finds the wallet and gives it to law enforcement to take to the ER. Unfortunately, at times, it may be too late; especially where allergies to medications are concerned. If you don't carry a smart phone on your rides then get the Road ID with the 800 number on it so they can call the number and get all your medical history. Of course, if your responsive after a crash, all this is a moot point since you can give them the information yourself. But still carry a RoadID.
Glad that you reposted - the topic was covered a year ago or so. Your comments were the reason my wife and I got Road ID's. We have the usual contact information for each other on them. My wife is dilligent to ask if I'm wearing the Road ID before heading out for a ride, and I usually reply "yes, I have my Road Kill badge on". Hopefully will never need to use it ... but the odds are ...