Old 02-14-16, 04:45 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Sunday -- 32.5 km with 540 metres of climbing. The first 16.25 km was the climb ... halfway up Mount Wellington!! The second 16.25 km was the descent.

The day was very windy, gusting to about 65 km/h down in Hobart and 100 km/h on top of Mount Wellington. We had been planning on attempting a full climb, right to the top, but it was just too windy to be a safe ride. So we cut it short halfway up at Fern Tree.

The temperature reached 22°C down in Hobart, but sat around about 5°C at the top of the mountain. It was probably in the low teens in the Fern Tree area.

For me, I was very pleased with the climb. I'm not a climber and was somewhat apprehensive, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. I just got into a rhythm that worked for me, left a bit in reserve, and more or less cruised. There were a couple steep bits, and I was glad I still had something in reserve for them.

So next ... we'll have to try the whole climb!! Evidently there are a few more challenging bits in the second half of the climb, so I'll see how I go.

Amusing thing ... Richie Porte did the climb (the whole thing) just the other day ... for him, it was "a leisurely climb up Mt Wellington" ...
Category: | The Mercury: Richie Porte’s ‘relaxed’ home start

I wonder if it will ever be "a leisurely climb" for me!!