Old 11-27-05, 08:24 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Autokat
I honestly can't see how the axles would fail ? surely the bearings would give up first ? The frame on this won't bend unless a truck drove over it . so with a big weight on it the sides still cant flex ( that was the idea of using such strong steel ) If I grabbed the wheels and really pulled on them the wheels would probably start to flex .Or what would be the difference in using a solid axle or doing what I have done and mounting the axle into a hole made just big enough for the axle to fit ? and as for the axle itself failing ...Go and grab an axle of a piece of solid steel rod 140mm long and 10mm thick bolt one end to something solid and try to bend the it without some kind of leverage device on it . It's damn hard isn't it .lol

And lets not forget about the single sided forks they make now They wouldn't make them if they failed .
My theory is if the mounting point is strong enough to not flex on one side as this is it should have no problems holding up ( I could be wrong but we'll find out in the long run ) I have built trailers before out of other materials to save on weight ( and bolted the wheels as every trailer has them ) and they have all ended up failing simply because the frame wasn't strong enough and if I only had them bolted to one side on those trailers they wouldv'e lasted about a week . but as I already said the angle steel is 45 x 45 mm x 5 mm thick ( it's heavy duty ) so I think it'll hold up very well but we shall see .
Mate, Please understand that we are NOT picking on your work only offering a caution. As a whole it's
a fine job it really is. That said, a failed axel while riding can lead to serious injury and that is our
only concern.

The frame is strong due the fact that it's 1/4" ANGLE iron which means that ANY torsional load or twist
will be forced to the joining point of the axel. When you get forces that are generated on a loaded
trailer while riding they come in several axis AT THE SAME TIME. THAT is what will fail the axel. That
is also why the axel needs more support to spread the load and rolling forces over THE ENTIRE FRAME.

Those single point forks you mentiond work because they are a torsional TUBE which is way, way
stronger than any solid for loading in several axis at once.

So please use your trailer with care lightly loaded as it is now.