View Single Post
Old 02-16-16, 01:36 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
yeah i'm pretty sure the crushing the steerer tube thing is a total myth.

speaking of steerer tubes, i cut my first one yesterday. granted, it was steel so not that complicated/high risk. roommate now thinks i'm a psycho after he walked into the kitchen and caught me hacking away at it.
carbon's not some special material. it cuts just like anything else.

Originally Posted by mike868y
iirc that's only if you're using specialized's stupid adjustable angle stem.
that 'stupid' stem is pretty useful for people dialing in their position. the reason there are no spacers allowed on top is that the top-cap is angled so that the whole thing sits flush when the stem's angle is adjusted.

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
I see nothing in my 2015 Tarmac's manual about that, but I'm sure they'd still take extreme issue with the stack I've got going on.
test: is the expander plug's bottom above or below the bottom of the stem? if it's below, you're good to go.

specialized now supplies as default it's longer expander plug...so unless someone is doing something very weird with spacers, everyone should be good to go. you don't really NEED the expander plug, but it does distribute the forces on the stem and prevent slight/accidental over tightening from instantly ruining the steerer. one could even do some JRA with a huge spacer stack to dial in position before cutting...if one is careful.