Old 02-16-16, 09:57 AM
mtseymour

Bikes: 2022 Calfee Tetra, 2023 Giant TCR

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shlammed
Right now I'm seriously debating the easton r90 rim vs some light-bicycle 55mm carbon clincher rims. It's the rim construction that most scared of. I don't want to get a "China carbon" part to be aero and cool to have it fail and hurt us.
Both the Easton R90 and LB 55mm carbon rims would be good choices. I prefer carbon wheels for the smoother ride, less for aero or cool looks. For instance, my Dura Ace C24 wheels are slightly more comfortable than my Mavic Ksyrium SL. Since we want a reliable wheel for our tandem, I only tried the LB rims after testing it on my mtn bike. My first set of LB rims were laced to DT Swiss 240s rims (32H) and didn't seem to be fazed by sharp rocks and large bumps. My experience seems typical given the various forum threads. Here's one comparison of the LB to Enve wheels:

Carbon Wheels ? Experiences and Tests | I-MTB

The next step was to replace our Rolf rear tandem disk wheel with a LB 35mm rim and White Industries MI6 disk hub (32H). The wider rim width and carbon construction has provided a reliable and slightly more comfortable ride. The lighter weight was merely a bonus. In the unlikely event that the rear wheel fails, we should be able to stay upright and finish the ride. As a general rule, carbon rims should last a long time if you don't crash or hit large potholes.