Old 02-16-16, 10:04 AM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by shlammed
Good thought and one I can consider. I haven't thought of actual implementation of a single side drive much... The tandem crankset wouldn't be my first choice to get that job done, however. This comment is because the 24mm spindle on the tandem crankset is much much longer and the Q factor of it is much wider than what I or my stoker would like.
I fully understand the Q-factor issue. Wide cranks are a problem for my stoker as well.

Right now I'm seriously debating the easton r90 rim vs some light-bicycle 55mm carbon clincher rims. It's the rim construction that most scared of. I don't want to get a "China carbon" part to be aero and cool to have it fail and hurt us.
Yes, it is taking a step away from what we historically think of as mainstream tandem wheels. However, so far I've heard direct Light-Bicycle feedback from two sources: mtseymour and my LBS manager/head mechanic who has built up quite a few mtn wheels with LB rims. All reports there are good. Also searching ""light bicycle" carbon road rims review" and such, I haven't found any further reason to doubt these rims. Any rim failures I've come across seem to be a result of mtn riders running with very low psi and hitting rocks (pretty much guarranteed to crack most carbon rims). Good news is that they held together quite well. Here are a couple links:

https://www.******.com/r/MTB/comment...light_bicycle/
Cheap Chinese Carbon Rims, Long Term Tested: Light Bicycle Wide 38mm 29er Rim Review | Singletracks Mountain Bike News

Unlike low spoke count, alloy nipple single bike wheels, our tandem disc set was built with WI CLD hubs, 32 spokes, brass nipples and nipple washers.

I would be interested is hearing of any other relevant rim failure reports... we also prefer to avoid known dangers

Last edited by twocicle; 02-16-16 at 10:22 AM.