Old 02-16-16, 12:13 PM
shlammed

Bikes: Norco Bigfoot, Miyata 110, Giant TCR Advanced 0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtseymour
Both the Easton R90 and LB 55mm carbon rims would be good choices. I prefer carbon wheels for the smoother ride, less for aero or cool looks. For instance, my Dura Ace C24 wheels are slightly more comfortable than my Mavic Ksyrium SL. Since we want a reliable wheel for our tandem, I only tried the LB rims after testing it on my mtn bike. My first set of LB rims were laced to DT Swiss 240s rims (32H) and didn't seem to be fazed by sharp rocks and large bumps. My experience seems typical given the various forum threads. Here's one comparison of the LB to Enve wheels:

Carbon Wheels ? Experiences and Tests | I-MTB

The next step was to replace our Rolf rear tandem disk wheel with a LB 35mm rim and White Industries MI6 disk hub (32H). The wider rim width and carbon construction has provided a reliable and slightly more comfortable ride. The lighter weight was merely a bonus. In the unlikely event that the rear wheel fails, we should be able to stay upright and finish the ride. As a general rule, carbon rims should last a long time if you don't crash or hit large potholes.
How have your carbon wheels held up and that is your team weight, if you don't mind? Did you use nipple washers like @twocicle?

Im more for using tires as a means of tuning the ride properties by use of different compounds and pressures, if there is comfort in the rim, it is providing comfort by flexing in some form. I don't think this is a particularly bad thing, but with our tandem last year we had issues with spoke breakage and flexing of a rim will stress the spokes more than one that doesn't flex. I may be over analyzing this aspect though so im open for you opinion.
Weight and aero aside, the reason im considering the LB rims is mostly aesthetic. That's why im on the fence about it, especially since the Easton rims are 50% cheaper and are quite deep/aero for an aluminum wheel.

We ran Alex DA22 rims last year with Novatec hubs and some straight guage spokes that was an issue... not from a rim perspective but its making me consider the whole wheel build such that it isn't an issue this year. I've gone as far as ordering a park spoke tension gauge so I can monitor our wheels to make sure they are both built correctly and that they stay that way. Im building the wheels myself, Much like I am building the frame. I have a DIY wheel truing stand half completed in my garage right now too.

Last edited by shlammed; 02-16-16 at 12:21 PM.