Old 02-16-16, 12:51 PM
mtseymour

Bikes: 2022 Calfee Tetra, 2023 Giant TCR

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shlammed
How have your carbon wheels held up and that is your team weight, if you don't mind? Did you use nipple washers like @twocicle?

Im more for using tires as a means of tuning the ride properties by use of different compounds and pressures, if there is comfort in the rim, it is providing comfort by flexing in some form. I don't think this is a particularly bad thing, but with our tandem last year we had issues with spoke breakage and flexing of a rim will stress the spokes more than one that doesn't flex. I may be over analyzing this aspect though so im open for you opinion.
Weight and aero aside, the reason im considering the LB rims is mostly aesthetic. That's why im on the fence about it, especially since the Easton rims are 50% cheaper and are quite deep/aero for an aluminum wheel.
Our team weight is around 310 lbs. The LB rims have gone through more than a year of use on my mtn bike and tandem. They've stayed true and show no sign of wear and tear.

I built both sets of wheels and my LBS checked the dish & tension. Like me, they were impressed with the rim quality. I didn't use nipple washers because I've never used them on any of my wheels. Spoke manufacturers and builders (eg. DT Swiss and Wheelbuilder.com) don't refer to washers in their spoke calculators or custom options. It should be noted that the LB rims have very precisely drilled holes, and washers may interfere with the fit. I lubed the spoke threads and spoke holes to avoid windup.

Carbon rims offer a subtle but noticeable improvement in comfort. I treat it as luxury option for longer rides (70 miles +). Good 28mm tires also help regardless of rim choice.

Not sure what you mean by aesthetics. We prefer a low-key look and ordered the LB in bare carbon (matte clear coat) w/o decals.