View Single Post
Old 02-17-16, 07:36 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
It's wired into the genome, and not a problem w/ a sufficient level of physical effort and the diverse intake of carbs/protein/roughage that a traditional diet reliant on non-processed foodstuffs well prepared with tasty seasoning provides for Enjoyment.

Food is not just fodder/fuel it is Culture, but how heavy work of any sort gets done not just cycling.

-Bandera
I have no fear of food.

Here was my weekend: I had a quart of buttermilk I needed to use up. I know, I'll make bran muffins. Recipe calls for applesauce but I can't in good conscience buy applesauce when it's so simple to make. And besides, apples are on sale at the Persian market for $0.50/pound.

If I'm making applesauce, I'm not getting things dirty to just make a little, of course I make a vat. Now what am I going to do with the leftover applesauce?

I know, @sarals birthday is coming up and she's eating healthy, I might as well make her some granola, I have a great recipe that calls for applesauce rather than oil. And while I'm at it, a new apple cinnamon recovery drink.

Then with the rest of the buttermilk, the obvious choice is pancakes. It was Valetines Day after all and men love pancakes and bacon. Now what to do with the leftover batter? How about nutella-stuffed pancakes, if I make them silver-dollar sized, I can wrap em up and use them as bike snacks. Now they are waiting in the freezer.

Meanwhile back at the Persian market, tomatillos are on sale for $0.30/pound. That means cooked green salsa, which in turn leads to Enchiladas Suiza. And lots leftover for the freezer. Also red bell peppers, so inexpensive I can't resist. This leads to sweet & sour stir fry (because fresh pineapples were also on sale).

Now we have leftover rice. And hot damn some leftover coconut milk from last week. So a batch of Sea Salt-Coconut bites with dark chocolate centers. Also a bike snack. Made up in little cubes and packaged in sets of four, which fit perfectly in my bento box on my top tube.

Did I mention I like to cook? And also ride my bikes.