View Single Post
Old 02-20-16, 03:11 PM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by robow

Nice work Shipwreck, is that one of your creations?
Yeah, I made a bunch of coffee cups for friends who cast iron weld steel sculptures. Back in grad school when I was studying macho metal working they used to sort of make fun of my dirty ceramics habit(it was where all the girls were), so years later making them all something that they can actually use was sort of cool! Plus making a pro steel thing out of mud makes me smile

Interesting about the bike Friday repair. I saw some pictures of a surly frame that was repaired in China by a guy with a stick welder... they used angle iron and other scrap to mend a crack. It was so ugly that it was almost contemporary art... better in fact, though the guy stripped the frame and left it in China after it got him to the end. I think that if I ever have to have it done I would try to find a shop that would let me braze it myself. If all I could find was a stick, I would also do it myself if possible, with 1/16 rod, another stripped rod for a filler stick, chiller bars near the weld to soak up excess heat, and accepting that it will look like crap!