View Single Post
Old 02-22-16, 06:25 PM
VintageRide

Bikes: 1970 Gitane TDF; 1985 Norco Magnum GT ; 2013 Rawland Stag ; 1981 Fuji 650b; Early '80's Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 55 Posts
Nice to hear I was not the only one taking a bike out for it's first shakedown ride. In my case it was the P.Peschi this past Saturday, which I have to say is quite comfortable all things considered. The tubulars are some older ones, the front ( Gommitalia Champion 21mm ) a bit narrower than the rear ( 23mm Pirelli Medio RGT ) but for free, well, I am not complaining! Anyone know much about them, just curious because they do not feel harsh at all. Compared to my wide tired 650b bikes it is still a surprisingly nice ride, which is another way of saying just how good those older French bikes usually are, I can't imagine what a pair of Challenge Eroica 30mm tubs would do for it. Whether I actually replace the Weinmann brake calipers for some appropriate Mafac is undecided, as the Weinmanns do not squeal and work well. I should look for a period correct crank set eventually though, even if the Nervar Star looks good.

Wish I knew what tubing it was made from ( seat post is 26.4mm ), I do know that with just a couple of pounds in the smaller saddle bag that hands off ( which it does well ) the front end will start to oscillate, touching the top tube lightly with my knee stops it. With even one hand on the bars it is fine.

Anyway, went for about 10 - 15 miles from Burnaby to Vancouver and around Stanley Park, where I took the two photos, I keep telling myself I will actually try for something scenic but tend to just ride and forget!

Last edited by VintageRide; 02-22-16 at 06:29 PM.