View Single Post
Old 02-23-16, 12:52 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Ha!

I started riding again after almost 20 years when my office moved and was only 7 miles from my house. I commuted a lot. Once I got caught out there with a storm rolling in. I was commuting down Bellaire south of 183 (if you know where that is), and the storm blew in from the west. It was apparently a strong low pressure system because it was sucking all the air into it; i.e., in trying to ride away from it I had to ride into a stiff headwind. I was pretty panicked because it was mighty dark out west, and then the thunder started to roll. I went up the Oakmonster (Oakmont from Bellaire to Bryant Irvin), fighting the wind, fighting the hill, and trying to get home ASAP. Then it happened: POP! I broke a spoke. I kept pushing though because I didn't want to get caught in storm. A couple miles later.... POP! Another spoke! Now my rear wheel had a bad wobble. I made it into my driveway just as the downpour started. That was an amazing ride.

If you wanted to try out your jacket, you could do it right now; it's raining pretty good out there.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."