Old 02-24-16, 04:08 AM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Perhaps you should check the accident statistics. Getting rear ended is the least common mode of accident between a car and a bicycle. People don't just run over cyclists that are in front of them. I've never had someone try to pass me during a left turn when I'm in the middle of the left turn lane. There isn't enough room for them to pass me and, again, motorist don't run over cyclists for no reason.

I'm also not "waiting in a line of moving traffic". The line of traffic either isn't moving...i.e. it's waiting for the light...or it is moving at the same speed as I am after the light turns green.
I didn't mention anything about the statistically highest chance of being injured as a cyclist in traffic, not sure where you're getting that from. You are more than welcome to pull some stats for me if you want, but that's your burden not mine. I also never said that motorists run over cyclists for no reason...not clear where that is headed either.

A car most certainly would have room to pass you during a left turn if the oncoming lane is clear and no median separates the two. This is apparently not the case for any of the roads you cycle on, which is unusual but possible I suppose.

Surely you understand the nature of stop light traffic; ie it's like a reverse slinky insofar as a vehicle will not begin moving forward (creeping doesn't count) until the vehicle in front of it moves forward, the lead vehicle notwithstanding of course. Therefore, when waiting in a line of traffic, upon the green (the context here is a light, not a sign) there exists a moment where you are waiting in a line that is moving. Unless you just happen to always cycle amongst friendly, unhurried drivers (not the case in Denver, as anyone in Laramie or Cheyenne will tell you) then you end up holding up the line when the wave gets to you...especially once the turn starts to straighten out and vehicles begin more rapid acceleration.

I am willing to give a qualifier here: if you are only 2 or 3 cars back, it doesn't matter, at least in my experience. In busy traffic, high congestion, rush hour, near the local college, etc, I find it better to filter up to the front and get out of the intersection and out of the way quickly. Makes everyone more agreeable, and bonus - you don't have to wait as long either or get stuck because of a wonky 5 second green light.