Old 11-27-05, 10:08 PM
attercoppe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris L
The thing about it is, many of those things you pointed out in the revised post became reality pretty quickly (although it may be a function of the way that piece was worded). Yet for all the "benefits" of driving, I don't notice very many smiles among all the drivers that I pass in the daily gridlock. I also see people writing letters to newspapers from time to time asking governments to do something about the number of cars on "their" roads (as long as it doesn't affect them, of course). In fact, it would appear as though many of the benefits of having one of these new-fangled cars were lost as soon as they became popular.
Very true, I think that if the attitude in my remix of your piece ever existed, it likely didn't last long. It's certainly not the case now.

Originally Posted by Chris L
Have you ever heard the saying "popularity corrupts"?
I haven't heard that, but I agree. There are just so many people nowdays, and word spreads so quickly, fads are co-opted and super-popularized in a "lowest common denominator" form. Biking as many of us see and treat it would not spread in that same form.

Originally Posted by xyx
A greatly increased number of women with nice butts would make it all worthwhile.
Word.