Old 11-27-05, 10:43 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
>>>>>>>So while everyone here seems to be running around trying to convert everyone else to cycling or more often trying to make the government do it for them, my advice is to be careful what you wish for. Make sure what you're asking for is what you really want.<<<<<<<<

I don't think we have anything to fear because transportation cyclist are rare birds and until gas becomes unafforable (in the next 75 years!) I won't be alive to see the waves of cyclist on city streets. In fact, the only female utility cyclist I've seen in my neighborhood was doing so because she was probably living in a homeless shelter.

I can deal with government madated bike lanes like in Holland, but what I don't want is all the bike theft that goes on in that country and goes unpunished! I'm afraid when more people start taking up cycle commuting, theft will increase as the bicycle will be seen as transportation instead of a toy.

Today, I can hide my bicycle and feel secure it will be there upon returning. However, if masses of people were to use bicycles for utility purposes, no beater bicycle will be safe from the predators!