Old 11-27-05, 11:02 PM
lilHinault

Bikes: .

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This was my feeling early on, is an era of history with less cars really worth looking forward to? And I pointed out that we'd have more bike thieves, perhaps commuting peloton bullies, all kinds of hassles not imaginable now. But, all in all, I think there's safety in numbers even numbers of strangers and even numbers of bikers.

Here's my parallel: In the US car drivers are the vast majority. For all the complaining about rude drivers, automobilists are amazingly civil with each other. Heck we have the things clad in the shiniest, most perfect paint to be found on any object, when really they ought to be clad in that rubber stuff they pave gyms with. Car drivers help each other out easily over a million times a year in the US and think nothing of it. Cars suck, but 99% of their drivers see no other way to get along in life and scoff all you like, but there's a feeling of "we're all in this together".

Now translate this to bikes. I notice riding a bike I'm a person, because any person on a bike is in fact 80 or 90 percent person, arms, legs and torso. People remark they're used to seeing me, and we all know the various body types and pedaling styles are far more individual than any paint job from Detroit. There will be much more interaction on a personal level. A person won't be a large piece of gaudily painted metal, they'll be a human body on a bike. With a face, and a personality.

A couple of years ago I tried moving back to that wonderful hellhole in the Pacific I had the misfortune to grow up in. I figured with all I know now, it would be a piece of cake to make it there, and I'd have surfing and palm trees too. I lasted 4 months. It was hang myself or leave - a choice a lot of ppl there make. But while there, I figured that I could buy a used scooter a year (meaning I could get my used scooter stolen once a year) and still come out better financially than using DaBus. Getting a bike stolen is a pain in the butt, but it amazes me that people have this as their primary fear of a bike-centric future.