View Single Post
Old 02-25-16, 07:40 AM
SchwinnSuburban

Bikes: Schwinn Suburban, Schwinn Varsity w/ monkey hanger handle bars, Raleigh SC30 (converted to E-bike), Miyata 312, Trek 730...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
SS, you were smart enough to get what is arguably the best hub system on the market. Plus, since you installed it on a bike that fit you well (I'm assuming here), best of both worlds. Out here in CA they are retro-programming those 500's for 28 mph.
Thank you for the compliment 2old, however, my going with the 500D was more a mix of mild research and dumb luck. If I had done more extensive research I very well may have considered custom building an even more powerful system (I live in a hilly area), but probably would have in the end gone with the 500D anyway for reliability concerns. I've ditched my car, my e-bike is now my main source of transportation, break-downs can be a drag. I have heard about the upgrade to 28 mph, I'm hoping to be able to do it to my system, not because I want to go around at 28 mph but for emergency traffic situations--getting out of dodgy car traffic situations faster than 20 mph would be a nice option to have.

By getting rid of the ownership expenses of my car is how I justified the cost of the 500D. I put it on a bike with a step-through frame (otherwise known as a girls' bike), when the front and rear is loaded with gear, groceries, etc. being able to simply "step-through" the frame to get on makes life a lot easier.