View Single Post
Old 02-26-16, 01:51 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5957 Post(s)
Liked 2,868 Times in 1,598 Posts
EVERY chain lube product and method has it's own fans and detractors. While some of this may reflect on the products themselves, much is the result of differences in riding condition and the preferences of the users.

Someone who wants a very clean chain will favor some products over others, which someone wanting a quieter drive train another. Meanwhile, what works better in Seattle's wet climate, may be messy on Arizona's dry and dusty trails.

Even friction lab tests have problems. Frictional loss has two components, the actual bearing friction of the moving parts, and the viscous drag of the lubricant. Friction increases with load, but viscous drag is nearly constant regardless of the load. So in a way analogous to the effect we see when top quality well greased ball bearings feel "sticky" when unloaded, some lubes will do poorly in the lab if the test is done with light chain load. OTOH, as the load increases, the friction will become greater than the drag. So here again we have a situation where some lubes will do better or worse depending on conditions.

Then, as pointed out above, performance when newly applied may (will) not be the same as performance 100 miles later.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.