Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Interesting. I always used panniers, I assumed trailer would be a lot heavier. But, trailer not much heavier than my stuff when I pack heavy with the full set of Ortliebs:

Item Weight (Grams)
Front Rack Tubus Ergo 570
Rear RackTubus Logo EVO 860
Front Pannier Ortlieb Frontroller 1,640
Rear Pannier Ortlieb Backroller 2,140
Duffle Ortlieb Yellow 31 Liter 795
Handlebar Bag Lou G 9 liter 900

Total grams 6,905

Convert to pounds 15.19

But, realistically cutting the handlebar bag would cut about 2 pounds, but I like the convenience of it so am willing to carry it.

The weights are as I measured them on my scale, so might differ from manufacturer specifications. Sorry the formating is messed up, this website deleted extra spaces that I used to setup neat columns.
That was my assumption as well until I purchased my first trailer. When you break it down, as you did, they're pretty comparable.

Originally Posted by gregjones
I didn't know how much use I'd get from a trailer, I had no problems shopping with panniers but didn't want to take trash to the county dumpsters in them.

I bought one of the cheap Asom trailers off eBarf for $60 w/shipping. Used it on more than half of my "chore" trips around town. But it folds for storage and flexes at the pivot points. That makes for some tricky rides with a heavy load. No problem under about thirty pounds.
So I decided to save an eBarf search for a BOB Yak. The early ones only had one brace on each side but the later ones have two in a "vee" configuration. I decided that I'd only get one of the later ones if I could get one for under $200. It took almost a year but I finally got one for $135 w/shipping. It had been used once then sat in a garage for eight years. The tire had a sidewall crack, another $15. Total $150 investment without the dry bag.

The BOB is easily worth the $300 for a new one when compared to the $60 eBarf trailer. The scary flexie tail wagging the dog rides are gone. I've carried 55lbs in the BOB for a total of 68lbs. Solid, no problems. Didn't know it was back there......until I hit my 12% hill on the way home from the store.

Stuart mentioned rolling resistance. I don't have a sensitive enough butt to tell it, but there has to be some. I've seen some recommend a higher PSI tire. I need one so I got a 16" Maxis Hookworm because I found one on sale. It's 100 (or so) PSI. The stock tire on the BOB was 45, if I remember right. That must be sufficient because the difference in price for the higher PSI version of the same tire is less than ten bucks difference. I would figure that the factory would use it if it mattered. I've ran mine a 40 to 80 PSI with different loads and really can't tell the difference. But that could be due to my hard ass!!
+1 - See below if you're interested in a cheaper (but heavier by +/- 2/3lbs) trailer than a BOB

Originally Posted by fietsbob
I got My (2 wheel, folding) Carry Freedom city ... trailer to hook up to my Brompton From them.
+1

For anyone interested in the trailer I was referring to, here's the link. $89.99 + $20 in shipping. For the USA at least.

Single Wheel Bicycle Trailer for Cargo BCT-8002 | DiscountRamps.com

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bicycle-trailers.jpg (21.6 KB, 22 views)