Old 02-27-16, 04:48 PM
NattyBumpo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Qs RE: 10-sp chains and reusable master links

About the middle of the 2014 riding season I went back to waxing my chains (10-sp Campy). Now I am a full-fledged wax-aholic. To support my habit, I need chains with infinitely reusable master links because the chain has to come off of the bike every few hundred km. I experimented with re-waxing the chain while it was still on the bike, but the fatal flaw was always the inability to equalize the temperatures of the chain and the (melted) wax, which resulted in less than optimal penetration.

And I've been pressing my luck re-using the PowerLink on a 10-sp SRAM chain, which I bought thinking was reusable, because they used to be, but that has changed. But I dodn't discover that until after I'd reused it a number of times.

I'm primarily interested in a single brand solution (like Connex/X-link), but if anyone has had a positive result with mix-n-match (like ShimaNO/MissingLink), I'd be interested to hear about it, too.

So I'd appreciate everyone sharing their personal experiences.

Among other things, I'm looking at KMC chains, but I note on their website that they recommend no more than 3 uses of the MissingLink. If any of you "runs-with-scissors" types has reused a KMC link significantly more than three times, and lived to tell about it, I'd also be interested to hear that.

My primary concern is shifting quality, in large part because waxing makes a chain deathly silent.

TIA!