View Single Post
Old 02-28-16, 08:58 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Charge Bikes ditches steel Plug...

I wanted a steel-frame touring-style bike as a new commuter, but had budget considerations. In January 2015 I bought a new 2015 Charge Plug "Performance Bicycles" edition, which is basically the Plug 4 with the groupset from the 3. While not a direct competitor for the Surly LHT or the Salsa Vaya, it was also only half the price. And finding one at Performance for half-off meant I bought a new, steel-frame, disc-brake commuter for a quarter of the price of a LHT. Lighter than a true touring frame, with more frame flex, I love my Plug despite pronounced toe overlap (especially with fenders) and the non-standard threading on the rear dropouts (the fronts were standard).

Although the news seems to be a few months old, I just saw it this morning, Charge Bikes has redesigned the Plug line for 2016 with new aluminum frames except for the top of the line Plug 5 which is titanium. All Plugs get carbon front forks.

Charge Plug gets aluminium overhaul for 2016 - Cycling Weekly

This development really doesn't affect me in any way, and I understand businesses have to build to market demand, but it does make me a little sad. There are still plenty of steel bikes out there, both old and new, and steel isn't always the answer, but commuting on my Plug, I occasionally feel some flex rhythms similar to my old steel Nishiki International, just not as pronounced (On my Nishiki, when I hold the brakes and stand on the right pedal, I can see the rear left chain-stay deflect a quarter inch or more).

I now feel extra fortunate to have been able to find and buy the bike I wanted, now that it's no longer available.