simplify
ride, paint, ride

Bikes: Cannondale R300 Caad2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lunigma
hey i couldn't find an answer for this anywhere. when i overhaul a hub i really hate having to adjust it for play and compensating for the quick release. i prefer solid axle hubs, they are easier to overhaul.

i was wondering if i were to get bolt on skewers, like the ones found on nashbar, http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename= , would i still need to adjust it like quick release or would it be like a solid axle hub?
thanx
I believe that the reason why we need to leave play to compensate for a quick release skewer, is because a skewered axle is hollow and therefore, it flexes a tiny bit when the skewer is tightened. That tiny bit of flex is what tightens the contact of cones on bearings, and that's what we are allowing for, when we leave a little play in the untightened axle. This same thing would be true of any hollow axle, whether the skewer was tightened via quick release lever or by means of a nut. The axle is hollow either way, so the same flex would happen with tightening. These skewers are probably advantageous as a theft deterrent, but they won't make your hollow axle behave like a solid axle.