Old 02-28-16, 07:39 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by gtrob
I feel for the guys that have to come out with a better bike every couple of years. Imagine finally pulling off the best bike you could possibly make within the limits you have, knowing that you have to beat it, while everyone is trying to as well, in a couple of years. With the same limits and technology.

At least with road bikes the groupsets get noticeably better every 5-10 years, but track frames? The Kimera is 10 years old now, could they make anything reasonably better today?
Yeah, the same thing happens in Tennis. I mean, how much can a Tennis racquet be improved?

I'm reminded of when I was a kid playing jr tennis. The Prince Original Graphite was an amazing racquet that debuted in 1980 and was still being used into the 1990s. It had a perfect mix of balance, power, control, and feel that was unrivaled. They got it right. This was the racquet that Agassi, Chang, Seles, etc.. and every up-and-coming junior to the pros used.

Agassi and a young Seles:

Even when pros got contracts with other manufacturers...they would STILL use the POG and simply repaint it and put the new sponsors logo on it. It was THAT good.

(It's hard to see here, but it was well known at the time. Agassi had a Donnay contract but used a Prince racquet for a year or two until they made one he liked.)

Here was the problem. It was rugged as hell, too! So guess what? If you bought 4 of them (normal for a club player) or 10 (normal for pros), you were set for life

They even use it now:

So what did Prince do? Instead of keeping it alive, they discontinued it. I'm not sure what happened in the story of that racquet after that. But, basically pros started hoarding them. Not sure if they ever re-released it.

So, yeah, imagine being the guy who had to top the best tennis racquet ever made

Originally Posted by wens
I think you're underestimating the gains wind tunnel testing can provide.
I probably am. I've never done it. I guess that's why I asked the question.

Last edited by carleton; 02-28-16 at 07:42 PM.