View Single Post
Old 02-29-16, 01:05 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsk
Exxonmobil Heads or Tails TT, Cat 4 - 1st place
The course was 4 loops of a 10K out-and-back, so a 'slow' course due to all the turnarounds (at one end it was a u-turn lane, but still sharp enough that you lost a fair bit of speed). Tailwind on the first leg, headwind coming back. I decided to try to do a negative split for each lap rather than overall, so that I wouldn't lose too much time on the early headwind segments. I still need to work on my TT pacing, I tend to drop down to sweetspot power unless I keep a close eye on the garmin. Faded a little on the headwind section of the 3rd lap, so eased up a little bit on the last tailwind section and was able to finish strong in the final headwind stretch. Beat my (agressive) personal time goal by 6 seconds, so pretty happy overall.

Pace Bend Road Race Cat 4, pack finish
7 laps of a 6.1 mile circuit. Very sketch race despite being a close course with no centerline rule. Had to ride off-road to avoid an early crash, almost coming to a stop but managed to stay upright and chase back on. Another crash in front of me last in the last lap, I managed to thread the needle between several downed riders but lost some momentum and wasn't in good position coming into the uphill finish. Ended up somewhere in the front half of the pack, didn't stick around for final results since we had fairly long drive home. So far my experience in straight Cat 4 races has me missing Cat 5, I'm seeing way more crashes in Cat 4 races than I saw racing Cat 5 last year.
Great job on the TT results. I was watching ya'll crash but 40+ had the nastiest crash 1 lap to go. It's funny everyone is careful on the 90 deg downhill turn but the last corner 3k to go seemed to crash every category.