Old 02-29-16, 06:00 PM
Aceldama

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Thanks

When people say it is a heavy bike, what are they comparing it to?

Is it because a LHT normally has strong and heavy wheels & tyres that lends to overall impression of how heavy a bike it is?

People don't seem to call the Surly Cross Check heavy, yet it's frame and fork would be lucky to be one pound lighter than the LHT frame and fork, but Cross Check's are probably more often than not, fitted with lighter wheels than a typical LHT build.

In terms of the LHT not being a fast bike, is that a trade off with having those long chain stays that provide so much comfort, in that pedaling force is slightly dissipated, rather than being directed forward?

Is a LHT build "faster" or "slower" than say a Trek 8.6 DS or Specialized CrossTrail Comp, on the road?
When I say the LHT isn't my 'fast bike' I'm comparing to my 1996(?) Waterford 1200. You're on the right track in understanding what contributes to a slower feeling bike.

Materials:
If you compare the thickness of the tubes used to make the LHT, especially the chainstays, they're beefy tubes. Both bikes are steel but that's where the similarities end. The LHT simply uses more material than the Waterford and the tubes themselves are drawn thicker in order to be stronger for the LHT's application.

Geometry:
The LHT is designed to be stable and more upright. This makes it better for a number of things: comfort, stability, ability to carry loads. The long chain stays keep the wheelbase long and panniers out of foot striking distance. The Waterford has shorter chainstays and a shorter wheelbase making it feel much more twitchy and nimble. The Waterford puts the rider in a position to put more power to the ground and it accelerates more quickly than the LHT.

Wheels/Tires:
The LHT has wheels built for touring and durability. Same story with the tires. This makes them heavy relative to the Waterford which has a lower spoke-count wheelset wrapped in skinny tires.

Accessories:
My LHT is decked out with front/rear racks and full fenders. I don't care about the weight of the bike at all. My Waterford is kept as minimalist as possible.

When you combine all of these factors together it adds up in the performance department. That being said, the LHT gets used for 90% of my riding because it's suited for any type of riding in all weather. The Waterford gets used for spirited riding where pure training/performance is the goal.