View Single Post
Old 03-01-16, 09:07 AM
Striper4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HopedaleHills
I don't know why but on my morning hill climb this morning I was thinking about when I was a kid delivering papers on my bike. I remembered the old 24" bike I built from parts found at the town dump and how we used to hang the paperbag over the rear rack and then catch the strap on the axle end on the opposite side (neither me or my friends could afford baskets). It stayed there just due to the weight, but your ride was lopsided. I did this everyday after school for about two years. I think I had about 60 customers and a route that probably covered about 4 miles. I remember it had one killer hill and I used to use the old weave back and forth method to get up it.

Geez, the things you think about when grinding the hills.

So, anyone else?

Oh how I do remember my fellow cyclist,,,, I was 9 years old when I had my first paper route, about 55 customers to be exact and covered about 4 miles also. I had a Schwinn Apple Crate 5 speed stick before I moved to a 10 speed road Schwwinn. Fast forward many years,,, now at 55 soon to be 56 I am on a Trek 8.4 Dual Sport targeting 100 miles plus per week. I see a Cannondale Carbon Quick 1 over the horizon as I am always on the road versus trail however, still like the flat bar with horn extensions. And I like to average 15-17 mph per trip. Happy Cycyling !!