View Single Post
Old 03-02-16, 08:09 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Hmm, rode the same 23 mile route today on two different bikes. One after the other. One was a 2015, 19 lbs Ti Lynskey the other was a 1989, 23 lb steel Giordana. One has an 11 speed cassette, one has 6 speeds. Guess which one finished with the higher average pace? Yep the heavier one! Weight is just one of many variables and may or may not matter according to the situation.

Oh and on a side note, those Billato folks really know how to make a bike. That Girodana is one Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet ride!!
The lightest bike I have is 16.5lbs and it has Ultegra 10 speed. I usually average in the 17's, on a strong day I can break 18. I believe the highest average MPH I ever hit solo was 18.8.

I acquired a '86 Univega Nuovo Sport weekend before last. Very sweet triple butted frame, but heavy Shimano Light Action components, 27 inch wheels, 1 1/4 (32c) tires and 6 speed freewheel. It weighs 24lbs stripped of pedals, bottle and saddlebag. Every ride I've taken it on I've averaged over 18. Perhaps larger diameter wheels have something to do with it? Railroad tracks don't slow me down and I've found myself standing and sprinting over rough sections. I don't know, the bike is just fast and smooth as hell, I don't notice the weight one bit.

My computer doesn't have a pause for slow downs and stops.