View Single Post
Old 03-02-16, 04:07 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
You're right we get lots coming through here, but then we get a swell in prices of what people think they can get. Do it is a waiting game of patience.

This for example:

1998 STUMPJUMPER M2
Nice bike. Yes, its priced outrageously to give the seller somewhere to go. I doubt you could ever get it for less than $350. Waiting will get you a better price but not a better bike. The bikes that people get for $125 look like they cost $125, there are no exceptions. I got a really nice Schwinn tourer, fairly current (200?) by my guess. Exage 400 components, already commuterized (fenders, kickstand, rack) by the previous owner, from my local co-op. I paid $125, and later spent $50 to convert it to drop bars. I think the MTB bike is a waste if you are going to do all your riding on the street. I think 98% of SUV's are a waste for the same reason. Gearing will be too low, cranks too short, tires might be knobby (probably not on the used market, but possibly). I'd just as soon get a road bike from go. When you are paying only $125 for a bike every amount of money you have to spend to make it more practical detracts from the "bargain" aspect of the purchase. IMO.