View Single Post
Old 03-05-16, 03:33 PM
grwoolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lago vista 35+ 4/5's - 5th place

Rolling hills, 33 miles of 5 mile loops. Plan was to protect sprinter (who won last week) and mark stuff.

I attacked once and bridged to a couple other attacks, but nothing stuck. I was never with the right guys and I didn't go "all in" on any of them and was pretty fresh for the finish.

We pushed the pace on the final run in and got our sprinter in good position, but someone ran into him out with about 150m to go just as things were winding up. He kept it upright, but pack finish. I ended up 5th without really sprinting, more lucky with positioning than anything.

Tomorrow, they run the same course backwards. Today was nice gradual climb of ~4 minutes every lap with short steep drops before the finish. Tomorrow, the steep drops become climbs and I hate that stuff. I don't typically race the sunday version, but I'm going to give it a shot this year. The finishing group is usually less than 10 people and I know at least 5 guys racing tomorrow can drop me badly when the road gets steep. We'll see how it goes.