View Single Post
Old 11-28-05, 06:24 PM
v1nce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Although on the page it doesn't look too bad at all (but almost ANY new bike can look good in pictures) i'd be very wary of buying a folder that nobody has any hands on experience with,.. no matter what the price! This one i wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, unless i had a chance to see it up close and could satisfy myself that my fears are unfounded. I find three things a bit fishy to say the least:

1. Suspension,.. at that price it might well be of the variety and quality you'd really rather prefer not to have at all.

2. The Folding hinge, from the picture it looks somewhat fragile and thin, if this goes the $ 174 is probably flushed completely down the toilet. The frame and fork have a warranty for one year the rest of the parts only 60 days!! I think that is pretty damn shamefull. If you sell a bike and believe at all in your product that term ought to be at the very very least 2 or 3 times as much. Very, very poor show, Ridiculous! Preposterous! Plus if you need to make use of the warranty you have to pay for the Labor costs to boot! That might very well end up being half the price of this bike. PRFTRTdDDT!?! I gotta stop before i have a fit.

It may have a Derailleur with 6 speeds but why don't they even mention any brand or name..? Again, you may end up wishing (presumably after 61 days ha ha) that you had a decent singespeed rather than 6 rotten gears. Labour costs here i come! As James Brown would say: 'Hit me!!'

I also second the alternatives suggested and in this order of preference:

Downtube!!!
Boardwalk (maybe second hand if you are lucky to find a good deal)
Worksman (the cheaper model has few features, looks old school, might be heavy? but will last "for ever")

I'd leave the Bazooka out myself, i don't think it is really a durable bike at all though that is mostly from what i can infer from the pics and specs. Cheap is not cheap nor a good thing if it means replacement in the short term...

Lastly, as for the comments about the Dahons. Makes sense: it is common knowledge that Dahons (especially the cheaper models) have improved by leaps and bound over the last 2 to 4 years. From what i hear the older ones were decent at best. The Newer (even the cheap Boardwalks) are very good and excellent value.

Good Luck! Hope the folder experience works out for you!

Last edited by v1nce; 11-28-05 at 06:48 PM. Reason: bla